An attractive plant with a great number of varieties.lucerna’s are narrow ‘Angel Wings’, often red-veined. The , usually coral, though other colours can be obtained, are borne in fine, pendulous trusses.
- Growing season 15-22 °C (60-72 °F)
- Minimum winter 13 °C (55 °F)
Soil: 70% soil-lessmixed with 30% peat.
Where to: Will accept good light or light shade, but needs protection from strong sunlight. It is not very sensitive to draughts or moderate temperature changes.
Watering requirements: Lukewarm rain water or soft water. Maintain a moist, springy soil condition. Ensure good humidity.. Mist-spray plants in hot weather, but avoid allowing droplets to collect on leaves. Provide
Feeding and fertilizer: Feed weekly with a weak liquid fertilizer. Remove the dead blooms and lower leaves if they become damaged or unsightly. Do not pinch out shoots.
Rest and care: Reduce water to maintain moist soil condition and stop. As growth becomes vigorous, increase warmth and provide a little more water. Begin feeding again after one month.
When it looks sick:
- Plant flags : Reduce water until soil condition is springy. Check drainage.
- Dried brown areas on the leaves : Caused by under- or draughts or severe temperature changes. All are simple to rectify and should be done at once. Buds drop : This is likely from all causes, I.e. over or under- , draughts, temperature changes. All must be checked and rectified.
- Fungus : May attack open wounds. Dust with fungicidal powder.
Where to position: In good light, but away from strong sunlight. It is fairly tolerant, though draughts and wide temperature changes may cause ugly, dried brown areas atedges.
Watering requirements: Soft, lukewarm water. Maintain a moist soil condition. Mist-spray weekly with tepid water. The plant is not demanding over, but will not like a completely dry atmosphere.