Ficus Elastica or the, is probably one of the best known foliage plants. It grows very erect, with large , and looks well standing alone or in company with other foliage plants.
- Growing season 22-24 °C (72-75 °F)
- Minimum winter 10-13 °C (50-55 °F)
Soil: A good soil-less.
Where to: In a light position away from sun and draughts. Excessive cold will cause the to fall.
Watering requirements: Keep soil moist to thumb pressure, with lukewarm water – cold can be fatal; avoid leaves. It is very thirsty and may need daily. It needs no spraying but likes some . Feed once a week with a weak liquid fertilizer in its water. Good is essential.
General care: Sponge leaves to remove dust. Buy special plant polish from the florist to make the leaves shine – it will not harm the plant.
Rest: No marked rest period and no special routine, but it needs less water andin winter.
When it looks sick:
- Leaves begin to drop : This may be due to under-or over-watering. Restore a moist soil condition, with soft, lukewarm water. It may be potbound. Re-pot if necessary.
- Leaves drop : It could be the soil condition, draughts or sharp drops in temperature. These should be checked and corrected.
- The red pale to a dull pink : Stop feeding at once.
- Insects : Check regularly for .