Theyou choose for a tall plant will depend on whether you want to show it off on its own or to group it with others.
To be fully appreciated, large plants need to be viewed from a distance so pick asuch as the end of a hall, the turn of a staircase, or the corner of a large room — anywhere where they can be seen at the end of a vista.
Large plants take up a lot of floor space, so put them out of the way of traffic lines.
Using a group
Where you have enough space, you can use a large plant in a group. Take into account the following points.
Use the shape of one plant to contrast with that of the others. For instance, you could group an upright, spikywith a graceful Umbrella Plant. In a larger group you can place your large plant at one side of the group and arrange other plants (in softer or bolder shapes) to form a triangle or a rectangle. Put some of the plants on stands to add height (upturned will do).
Use different colours andtextures to add interest, or highlight plain green foliage plants with some variegated varieties.
Large containers can be very expensive, so it is worth searching junk shops and market stalls for old wash pails, large cooking pans and storage crocks.
Alternative containers: Keep your eyes open for old household items around the home that could be put to good use as large plant containers. Here are some things that you may already have:
- A metal bucket
- An old plastic bucket (you can decorate this by painting it and then sponging on colours to highlight your plant.
- A wastepaper basket
- A log basket (this makes an excellent plant holder).
- A stone-look plastic tub (this can be used indoors if you keep the plug in place).
- An old fish kettle
Plants to pick
Choose the more upright plants where space is limited, and the broader, arching or bush varieties where there is plenty of room. Or make a feature of a large really unusual plant. Below is a list of plants with their height.
- Stick 1.5m (5ft)
- Indoor Lime 1.5m (5ft)
- False Aralia 2m (6.5ft)
- Canary Island or , grown up a pole 2m (6.5ft)
- Tree lm (3ft), higher with support
- 2.5m (8ft)
- Tree Philodendron 1.2m (4ft)
- Bamboo Palm 2m (6.5ft) slow growing
- Weeping Fig 1.5m (5ft)
- West Indian Holly 1.5m (5ft)
- 1.5m (5ft)
- Umbrella Plant 1.2m (4ft)
- Silk Oak 1.5 (5ft)
- 1.5m (5ft)
- Pony Tail Plant 1.5m (5ft)
- European Fan Palm 1.5m (5ft)