The Aluminum Plant is quick growing, with decorativedistinctively marked in silver, it mixes well with other foliage plants and is a suitable subject for planting in an indoor garden or trough. It is also called Artillery Plant because it ejects pollen when a plant in flower is sprayed.
- Growing season 22-24 °C (72-75 °F)
- Minimum winter 10-13 °C (50-55 °F)
Soil: A soil-less.
Where to: Place Pilea Cadierie in good light or in semi-shaded conditions, protected from summer sun, draughts and, above all, gas fumes.
Watering requirements: In summer, water to maintain a moist soil condition. In winter, it should be less springy to thumb pressure, though particles adhere. Avoid splashing the leaves; water stains them. It likes high.
General care: Give weak liquidweekly while growing. Pinch out growing tips to force it to branch and produce a good bushy shape. If you do not, the plant grows leggy and ungainly.
Rest: It rests in winter. As growth ceases, reduce water and stop. Re-pot in spring. Cut back to half their height and maintain a moist soil condition. Six weeks after re-growth begins, resume .
When it looks sick:
- Poor colouring : This results from insufficient light. Improve the light but do not place the plant in direct sunlight.
- Dry, dusty-looking leaves, lacking a healthy sheen : Inadequate will cause this. Improve the humidity and mist-spray regularly.
- Stained blotchy leaves : Caused by water splashes. Always shake them off.
- Poor growth and yellowing foliage : Water the plant with a oz magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts) to 1 pint of water-30 gm to 1 litre.