Streptocarpus hybrids are available in a range of colours from white through pink to mauve. They are pretty plants with long, bright green ovallike those of the primula. The dainty are carried in clusters at the tops of slender , of which there may be quite a number on a well grown plant.
- Growing season 12-22 °C (53-70 °F)
- Minimum winter 12°C (53 °F)
Soil: A soil-less. Humidity is necessary.
Where to: In good light in winter; never in full sun. It dislikes draughts and temperature changes.
Watering requirements of Cape: Keep soil moist to thumb pressure. Never allow to dry out as the leaves will flag badly and may be damaged. Mist-spray regularly, except in winter.
General care: Give very weak liquid ferti- lizer weekly in growing season. Stop when plant
begins to flower. Remove faded flowers and.
Rest: Reduce water but do not allow foliage to die down. Maintain minimum temperature of 12 °C (53 °F). Re-pot in spring with soil-less.
When it looks sick:
- Flagging leaves, lacking their usual gloss : Check the soil condition; if dry, water and use a fine spray on the leaves. If the soil is moist, spray only and improve the . Keep out of strong sunlight.
- Leaves pale and become dull : .
- on damaged leaves : Dust with a fungicidal powder.