This European lily, described by Clusius in 1601 and by Parkinson in 1629, comes from the French Maritime Alps between Nice and
Vcntimiglia, where it grows on limestone cliffs, in full sun, among grass and witch hazel on fairly dry ground.
The ovoid bulb has a diameter of 1-4-2 inches, and is cream in colour. The purple-flushed, 16-20 inches long, is thickly set with small, silver-margined, grass-like, linear . Up to 10 pendulous, red-lead coloured, Turk’s Cap which are marked with small dark spots. Vermilion pollen, unpleasant smell, June-flowering, germinates slowly; multiplication by and bulb-scales; should be planted in full sun on loam soil previously prepared with -mould and limestone chippings.