A very showy plant.has wide, pointed of a glossy green strongly veined in cream. It is valued for its striking foliage, but also bears a spike of bright yellow .
- Growing season 18-22 C (64-72 F)
- Minimum winter 18 C (64 F)
Soil: A soil-lesskept moist and springy with soft lime-free water.
Where it likes to be: In a bright window protected from strong sunlight, draughts and wide temperature changes.
What it likes to drink: Lukewarm water. Keep the soil moist and springy to thumb pressure, but never allow it to dry out. Provide. Spray daily with a fine mist during dry weather; stop spraying during rest period.
Making it sensational: It can be temperamental. Always follow the seasonal routine, and protect from draughts and fumes. Feed occasionally—about once a month—when flowering. Cut off flowerwhen bloom fades. Re-pot in spring if necessary. Giving it a rest: The plant rests for about six weeks after the flower fades. Reduce , stop spraying and until signs of re-growth are seen.
When it looks sick:
- Leaves curl and distort : Mist-spray daily and increase .
- Leaves drop : Caused by over or under-watering. Water regularly to maintain a good soil condition. Sporadic watering, excessive and temperature fluctuation can also result in loss.
- A tall, spindly, ungainly plant : Give the plant more light but not direct sunlight. Pinch out the tips in order to encourage lusty growth.